The Spring 2017 Athlete Boardshort Guide
It might be snowing in, like, 95% of the country right now but it's never too early to get in a warm weather state of mind. We've just dropped a ton of new boardshorts and our athletes have been wearing them on strike missions to Bali and during heats in the 2016 Billabong Pipe Masters so you know that the tech is killer and good enough to get you through your own warm weather getaway.
1. Joel Parkinson - Fluid X Boardshorts
Joel's signature boardshorts are a modern classic. He's been wearing the Fluid style for years and as he told Occy on the Occ-Cast, he has no plans to retire any time soon so you catch Joel in these for years to come.
Why You Need Them: If you like boardshorts that hit at your knees or lower, these are the boardies for you. The 21" outseam makes the Fluid the longest boardshorts we currently have in our line-up.
- Performance fit with 21" outseam
- PX2 Recycled Stretch fabric that is good for the environment and good for your surfing
- Zero back rise ergonomic paneling keeps these fitting snug at your waist during your session
2. Jack Freestone - Tribong X Boardshorts
Jack Freestone is one of the most progressive surfers on the planet at the moment so we've designed a boardshort that keeps up with him and does it in style - the Tribong X. The template for the boardshort is classic - three colorblocked sections - but what sets the Tribong apart is the use of pattern and color that makes each new style a modern performance boardshort.
Why You Need Them: The Tribong X boardshort has everything you need in a performance boardshort - stretch, quick drying fabric and more - but the Tribong has a classic design that our founder Gordon Merchant has been using since the 80's. These are the ultimate collision of function and style.
- Performance fit designed to minimize seams and maximize performance
- H2 Micro Repel coating on the boardies eliminates saturation and repels water
- 19 inch outseam for a comfortable above the knee length
3. Italo Ferreira - 50/50 X Boardshorts
Remember that rodeo flip Italo pulled at Backdoor during the 2016 Billabong Pipe Masters? Yeah, that was insane and we don't want to take all of the credit because Italo is an amazingly talented guy but we like to think his boardies gave him a little bit of help with that one. After all, they're super stretchy and water repellent and he needed both for that move, right?
Why You Need Them: For starters, the 50/50 X is a new style so you'll be one of the first guys on the beach or out in the water with these on and that's always a cool thing. In addition to being an early adopter, the PX3 stretch fabric is going to keep you moving free and easy in the water and comfortable on the sand.
- 20 inch outseam that hits at or just above the knee plus a scalloped hem
- 4-way stretch material for consistent stretch and fast fabric recovery
- Colorblocked design new for Spring 2017
4. Ryan Callinan - Momentum X Boardshort
Ryan capped off an impressive rookie year with a solid performance at the Billabong Pipe Masters and we're confident the Australian will be back on the tour in 2018. In the meantime, catch him on the QS and freesurfing around the globe in the new Momentum X boardshorts.
Why You Need Them: The spray paint print design is a killer new detail but these boardies are all about performance. The PX3 stretch material will give you all of the stretch you need in the water and the Micro Repel coating will help you dry off faster once your session is over.
- Performance fit that minimizes seams and maximizes performance in the water
- Quick drying fabric due to Micro Repel coating on the fabric
- 20 inch outseam
5. Jack Robinson - Prodigy X Boardshort
Robo put out one of the edits of the year in 2016 with "Hollow Ground," the story of his relationship with Teahupo'o and is primed for a productive year on the QS in 2017. Keep an eye on Jack in the upcoming year for more proof of why guys like John John and Kelly regard him as one of the best barrel riders in the world.
Why You Need Them: These boardshorts were built for performance and subtle but meaningful details like laser cut drain holes to help with water repelling make these a boardshort that was truly made for surfers by surfers.
- 20 inch outseam for a fit that hits right at or just slightly above the knee
- Stretch fabric and ergonomic paneling guarantees a comfortable session every time
- Micro Repel coating to keep your surfing lighter and dryer